Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Visit?

Hello Jon!

My name is Leslie Goodwin and I work with Angel at the Central Resource Library. Currently I am interning here for College credit hours. I am the facilitator for the Creative Commons group here, which is a creative writing group that meets once a month at the library.

Angel and I have been hitting our heads against the wall attempting to figure out a way to connect with the students in London. After a couple of concussions Angel and I have finally come up with some ideas that we wanted to run by you.

First off, I want to create a sort of Pen Pal system with your students. Three of the females in my Creative Commons group (along with me) want to start a creative inspiration process with your students. We want to write pieces and then send them to your students, who will then read them, and be inspired to either take photographs, draw pictures, or do some creative aspect and then send it back to us. Where we will then look at the pieces they have sent and be inspired to write more pieces. Each of us would have one person who we creatively connect with (so the pen pal effect comes into play here).

We would like to do this in the upcoming spring. With that said, we have an even bigger hurdle to leap. Angel and I want to actually do some fund raising and come to London and meet you and the students involved in Kreate and Konnect. We're aiming for it to be at the beginning of August and we would like to stay for a week to ten days.

What we would like to know from you is what dates would be the best for us to potentially come and visit, we would like to know how many of your students are willing to do this with us, how we could meet online possibly (video chat), and what other ideas you have that could make this even bigger.

The last thing I would like to mention is that I have a young man in my Creative Common group who is from Korea and he believes that he knows a teacher there who would love to make this communication a triangle effect, so that we have yet another group in the world that we are creatively inspiring.

We would love to hear your ideas about this possibility.

I hope you have a wonderful day!

: )

-Leslie

7 comments:

Jon said...

Hi Leslie and Angel
This all sounds very exciting! I'm off to bed now so will give this more thought in the morning (I may even have some useful dreams). I am working with a mixed age group at the moment. We are investigating creative learning. We have a blog:
http://creativetallis.blogspot.com
As you know I also teach media and photography, so that would be another potential pool of interested young folks. I love the idea of a creative exchange and pen pals and you are definitely most welcome to come and visit us. However, we are on holiday at the beginning of August. We start school again in early September. Is this too late for you? Any chance you can visit us this June/July? Do you use Skype? My user name is jnicholls65. Maybe we can sort out some kind of online chat in the short term and go from there?
Look forward to hearing from you again soon.
Jon

Leslie Diane said...

Jon-

I do have a Skype account and a video camera for the computer which we could use.

September would be a little too late for us, but we are off during July and June, so we can see if possibly we can work something out there : )

As I said there are five of us interested in writing with pen pals. So students involved with media or photography would be wonderful pen pals.

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Talk to you soon.

-Leslie

Unknown said...

I think I may have found a way for us to collaborate in an intimate way. NPR hosts a show called
This I believe...
What if we did that this summer?
We may or may not be able to travel this year... but if we can
create something meaningful ... it would certainly lend towards travel in the future.
I have to submit programming for the summer within the week. take a peek at this downladed document and lets chat within the next few days...about potential programming via podcasts.

http://thisibelieve.com/documents/TIBCommunityHandbook.pdf

if you cannot access this go to
thisibelieve.com

Jon said...

Hi Angel
I've had a look at the ThisIBelieve site and it looks great. I think we could defibnitely do something with this format. We have a school TV station and already use podcasting a little bit. I couldn't access the document at school but I'll look at it tonight and give it more detailed thought.
Jon

angel said...

Leslie and I get together this sunday we will look over the booklet and try to come up with a game plan of sorts. maybe two or three and then see what you think...
ciao. ciao.
enjoy your weekend.

Jon said...

Angel
Have you come across Think Quest:
http://www.thinkquest.org/en/
It might provide another way for us to collaborate?
Jon

Me said...

This sounds great!